For decades, Nintendo’s game designers have harbored the hope of developing a Super Mario Bros. game that supports simultaneous multiplayer gameplay. This Christmas season, thanks to the Wii system, that long-held wish may be realized by almost everyone. Players can now explore the side-scrolling worlds on their own, as they always have, or they may ask up to three other players to join them simultaneously on the same level at any point in the game for fun that can be either competitive or cooperative. The most recent entry in the most successful video game franchise features a multiplayer option intended to bring another kind of family entertainment into living rooms and engage groups of friends in lightning-fast Super Mario Bros. fun.
- The video game New Super Mario Bros. Wii has teamwork and individual competition elements. Players can pick each other up and carry them to safety or dump them into a problematic situation.
- It is possible to take control of Mario, Luigi, and two Toads, in addition to the many other citizens of the Mushroom Kingdom that make cameo appearances throughout the game.
- Players may even take control of other Yoshi characters and use their tongues to engulf opponents or other players.
- In certain sections of the game, players put the motion controls of the Wii Remote controller to use.
- If a player is the first to reach a seesaw, they could tilt it to aid their character climb to a higher level, but then they might tilt it in the wrong direction to confuse the other players.
- One of the new items is a propeller suit that, when worn, can launch players into the air with a simple shake of the Wii Remote. Additionally, Mario now has the option to change his appearance and become Penguin Mario.
- When playing in the simultaneous multiplayer mode, players are rated after each level according to their score, the number of coins they gathered, and the number of opponents they fought.